I did a big mistake a few hours ago:
I was doing a rm -fr /home/something instead of rm -fr /tmp/something, it took me a few seconds to realize what I’ve done but I’ve managed to umount -f /home quickly 🙂

All my machines have daily backups but I was working on a another machine for this project for a few days now and didn’t have any backups there.

The machine was running FreeBSD and the /home partition was UFS, I was dd’ing 2GB each time in the hope to find my deleted files but it was worth it.

I restored 95%+ of the data and restored the rest of it manually from my head 😉

I guess it’s time to setup svn for these projects 🙂


Comments are closed.

Subscribe to RSS feed